3.29.2012

I'M IN A PICKLE and I HATE pickles.

I'm trying to be thrifty and buy some used furniture on craigslist
( obviously going to check out the stuff first )
but I can't seem to judge if the love seat I have my eye on will match my patterned couch.

I know things don't have to be too matchy-matchy 
but I don't want my house to look like a thrift store gone wrong either.

Here's the pictures from the post:
I was interested in the area rug and the love seat (not the big couch)

Here's the area rug

Here's the love seat

Please take note that our kitchen and bathroom all have that shade of teal as decor.

So, here's our living room at the moment.

I was hoping that the rug would tie things together since it has
beige stripes with blue stripes.


So my idea is to place the love seat going at perpendicular 
position from the closer end of the couch in this picture. 
(so if it were placed there, you'd be looking at the back of it) 


Then to pull things together, I was thinking of putting that patterned pillow
on the teal couch to create a good balance/contrast.

MY OTHER PICKLE

So far everything in our home (furniture, frames) consists of 
black or dark wood.
I so badly want a brighter home with white or light gray accents 
and have had the thought of painting all of them.

This is the side table that Im thinking of painting a matte gray.
Here are the CONS to doing this.
1. Our kitchen table we JUST bought is black with dark wood panels for the top.
Painting this would be difficult and also I don't know if I want to paint such a new table.
2. The trim on that couch matches our side table perfectly as is.
3. I don't know if gray will offset the warm accent walls too much.

Then again, this shows how gorgeous gray and warm oranges look together.

S O U R C E

5 pennies for thoughts:

msrose said...

I think that love seat would totally tie in with the rest of your living room, all you have to do is pull the colors together with accent pillows. :) Also I am all for refinishing tables/furniture and making them white or gray like that photo above. :)

Unknown said...

Oh gracias! Its funny how someone's creative input makes a difference. Thank you lovely.

msrose said...

Any time girlie! :)

Jessie Thetford said...

your inspiration pic is lovely!!!

One thing to note is that the chair in the inspiration pic has the same dark wood you mentioned above, but it works perfectly with the painted table next to it.

Do the couch. For sure. With the right pillows, it will tie together - as Ali said. Also, find a throw blanket that matches the color of the gray/teal couch to toss onto your patterned sofa - it will tie in things even more AND add a bit of coziness! West Elm has some throw blankets in that color, I think!

I'm not sold on the rug (personally) and think you could find something that has your whole pallet and a better pattern. So I would say, wait on the rug. Or go onto overstock.com and check out some simpler affordable options!

Honestly, I can't wait to see what you do. I'm sure it will be pure awesomeness regardless! xoxxoxox!!!!! <- seriously. ;)

Unknown said...

Ah I love you girls.

Thanks for responding Jess, the lady is coming over as we speak to drop off the couch. I was unsure about the rug also but if it doesn't work in the living room it will definitely work in the kitchen because of the colors I chose in there.

I found a table that looks like a long version of our kitchen table with the same wood panel top and they painted the legs a sea-foam green color then distressed it, it was lovely. My husband liked it as well. So I think Ill start on small projects then tackle our kitchen table.


AND thats a lovely idea about the throw blanket! Ill definitely be doing that.



Thanks hun! <3

PS: I saw a DIY tutorial on making wall decor using paper towel rolls and thought of you! :)

Post a Comment